Health issues related to scalp and hair growth are becoming pretty common these days. Increased pollution and other environmental factors are making it worse. Search for finding a long term solution for healthy hair looks almost endless. In this quest of finding a permanent remedy for healthy hair growth, essential oils can play a vital role. Essential oils have been used for medicinal purposes for hundreds of years. One essential oil that can do wonders and make your hair and scalp healthy is tea tree oil. Let’s understand a little more about this essential oil and how you can benefit from this.
What Exactly Is this Tea Tree Oil?
Tea tree oil, also known as melaleuca oil, is an essential oil that is extracted from the leaves of the native Australian plant Melaleuca alternifolia. Due to its strong antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antifungal properties, it has been used as a traditional medicine by Aborigines for centuries, particularly for various skin and hair conditions.
Does Tea Tree Oil Really Promote Hair Growth?
Tea tree oil has antiseptic, antifungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Due to these properties Tea Tree oil ensures that your hair stays clean and healthy. Also you can reduce hair fall and dandruff by using this oil. Tea Tree oil increases oil circulation in your hair and helps in reducing hair fall. As per healthline, in one controlled study the group who used a shampoo containing tea tree oil had a 40% improvement in dandruff.
But I have Oily Hair? Will Tea Tree Oil Work for me?
Yes, it would help you. Generally, hair loss happens as a result of clogged follicles and an irritated scalp. Tea Tree oil increases oil circulation in your hair and scalp and hence improves scalp health on the whole.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Hair Growth
- To use tea tree oil in an effective manner, you need to combine it with other carrier oils. You can combine a few drops of this essential oil with your regular hair oil to create a hair growth solution. You can combine approximately 8-10 drops of Tea Tree oil with any of the following oil.
- Olive Oil
- Castor Oil
- Almond Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Lavender Oil
- Rosemary Oil
Can You Apply Tea Tree Oil Directly To Your Hair?
You should not apply tea tree oil directly onto your scalp as it is very highly concentrated and needs to be diluted before applying. If you apply directly you may end up irritating your scalp and that in turn may be more harmful than beneficial to your scalp. It may also result in allergic reactions. As far as possible you should use it with carrier oil and you should steam your hair after you oil it for getting the best results. When using for the first time, you should also perform a patch test on your skin before using it directly onto your scalp.
Other benefits of Tea Tree Oil
- You can also use it as your daily cleansing solution. For that you can mix 2-3 drops of tea tree oil with your regular shampoo.
- You can also mix 4-5 drops of tea tree oil with ½ cup of aloe gel and equivalent water and use it as a hair mask. This will help you in reducing itchiness, dryness and dandruff from your scalp.
- You can also use tea tree oil to clear lice from your scalp. Tea Tree oil can provide relief from lice as it has insecticidal properties. For that you can mix about 7-8 drops with a spoon of any vegetable oil and leave it overnight.
- You can also use Tea tree oil for anti-septic purposes for curing cuts, burns, and boils.
- Tea tree oil can also be used to fight fungal infection and bacterial infection.
- You can also use tea tree oil for a number of skin complaints including acne. As per medicalnewstoday Participants treated with tea tree oil experienced improvement in both total acne count and the severity of the acne in the study conducted.
You should never take tea tree oil by mouth. Taking tree tea oil by mouth can cause serious side effects, including confusion, inability to walk, unsteadiness, rash, and coma. Hence you should never ingest this oil.
Tea tree oil is generally safe for most people when put on the skin. In case you experience any skin irritation or swelling or redness etc. you should stop the use of tea tree oil. In such cases we recommend you seek your doctor’s advice before using it again.
Tea tree oil is one of the essential oil that can treat many problems related to skin and hair very effectively. In Ayurveda it as a must-have essential oil in your skin and hair care regime.
So, Next time you go for shopping, look for hair care products that contain tea tree oil to promote healthy and shiny hair and you are very likely not to be disappointed by using them. Infact, chances are you will regret not using them earlier.